Friday, March 14, 2008

Application in New York



Thursday I finally completed my application to the Grand Central Academy of Art in New York City. The application asked for a personal essay and a letter of recommendation, both of which I feel accurately illustrated my love for art and enthusiasm to enter art school. I struggled to limit my portfolio to only seven sketches. As I will need to put together another portfolio for the school in Italy I will soon be posting the drawings I have. I have included in this post the temple sketches I have completed. Each sketch takes around 50 hours of work.








"Timpanogas LDS Temple"

My wife and I had a blast taking pictures of the Timpanogas temple. I felt this angle with the sky offered the greatest composition and beauty of this magnificent building. My youngest sister was married here.




"Jordan River LDS Temple"

My second oldest sister was married here. This was actually one of the more difficult sketches I have completed. The sky offered a new challenge that required a lot of work, but turned out well.



"Washington D.C. LDS Temple"

This was actually my second attempt. My oldest sister was married at this temple and although happy with the sketch I did in high school, was excited to see this newest version.



"The Hawaii temple"
This is where my brother was married. My sister-in-law asked me to do this and waited two years for me to finish it. Between school, work, and family it took a while.
The Salt Lake City temple is almost done and the Las Vegas temple is in the works. I am getting lots of pressure to complete the Las Vegas Temple because that is where my wife and I where married.

6 comments:

Taralou said...

They look awesome -- of course. I am very proud of you Neal!! I have always enjoyed your artwork. I remember when you drew a sketch of Josh for me when he was on his mission. Very precious to me! Thank you for sharing your amazing talent with us!! Good luck with the applications!

The Silverback said...

You are so talented! I'm in your corner! Break a leg....

Katherine Ronachert said...

good luck!!! i'm, of course, rooting for italy so i can visit!!! (notice the lack of we, oops, i mean hubby can come!)

Wendy Lady said...

I've always been a fan. What do I need to do to order prints? Sheryl was married at Timpanogos and I was married in Salt Lake. Ever thought about trying Logan? That's where Mars was sealed.

Anonymous said...

Hey Neal! My mom and dad were looking at your stuff, and it is amazing!

Marisa Jean said...

Jonathan served his mission in the Hawaii and I would love to purchase one of your sketches, if at all possible. Let me know how I can!

Thanks for Looking!