Sunday, February 1, 2009

Finally I get to Paint!


Last month I started taking two night classes, which I plan to continue this month, portrait painting and portrait sculpture. I am really enjoying both, but especially the painting. The first three weeks were spent drawing the head and finally this week I transfered it to canvas and started to paint. The transfer process is not entirely accurate. It lacks the human touch, so this week I painted the contours and added a light wash. I have included the canvas up to this point. Next week I will start modeling or makeing the head look 3-d. I am really excited. Because of the added problems with color this first painting will be monochromatic. Essentially, everything I have been doing up to this point is in preparation for painting. It is the same process, just paint instead of graphite. I have included both the painting and the drawing I transfered it from. The model is the younger sister of one of my fellow classmates. It is a two month pose-one night a week for three hours. So I will have four more weeks to paint.


In class I am finishing up the hand. After that I will spend several weeks working on block-ins before starting my final piece. The final piece should take 2-3 months and will be a lot more complex than I have attempted thus far. After that I will start the whole process over, but painting casts instead of drawing. I hope I can start painting before school ends in May.


2 comments:

Wendy Lady said...

I'm so glad you share your works in progress. I'm always excited to see your work and fascinated with the process.

REM! said...

Hey buddy !!! I'm so exited that you are painting!!! your painting is looking so good and you are getting so good at blocking too!!! SO COOL!!! And I really thankful, for good or not, that you didn't go to Florence and decided to come to NY, I think I would go insane with you here, thanks man. I do believe that God brings people to our lives for a reason.

Say hello to de family.

Thanks for Looking!