Tuesday, November 3, 2009

October

I wanted to get some stuff up and show you what I did in October. The mornings are spent doing figure drawings and the afternoons, cast painting and one day a week portrait drawing.
Here's a peek.


Unfortunately, I can't seem to take a good picture of this drawing, but this was the upper portion of my figure drawing in October.







This is actually my second cast painting. The first was the mouth. Below you will see the process I went through to get to this point.








First I drew the ear. Initially I just had the basic outline and then my teacher recommended I do a wire frame type structure over my drawing. This was a great opportunity to become more familiar with the spatial structure of the form in preparation to paint.




Second I painted a quick value study. This gives me the opportunity to understand how the values relate to each other. This is another opportunity to study the cast in prepartion to paint. I'm happy with how this worked out


I wish I had taken pictures of the painting in stages of development, but it didn't happen. In any case next I transfered my drawing onto canvas and painted the cast.


Last of all here is the portrait drawing I did today. I'm not completely happy with it, but it's a step in the right direction. Right now Jacob is having us draw the portrait of the model along with skull studies from skull we have posed next to the model.



4 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

wow neal you are so amazingly talented!!! i can't believe how much you are maturing as an artist. just when i thought you couldn't get any better!

Ariel Gulluni said...

Excelent post Neil.
Is great to see the process!

Lo del wireframe nunca lo habia visto antes, me parece muy buena idea!

Consulta:
En los primeros plaster cast que hiciste, era solo HB verdad?

Alguna técnica de sombreado en especial? Any external blending tool or just controlled touch with the pen?

Buenisimo que actualizaste.

Saludos!

Katie Rod said...

I thought you had just taken a picture of the ear cast to show us what you were drawing, but then realized that was your actual work! They all look amazing. Good luck with the rest of the semester.

Mrs. S said...

That was really neat to read. It's so interesting to see how you are learning and amazing to see the progress you have made as you've applied what you learn. I'm so amazed by you!

Thanks for Looking!