Monday, October 6, 2008

Surviving in The Big Apple

I've been in school now for just about a month and things are busy. I am enjoying myself and taking full advantage of this great opportunity. We are living in New Jersey with my wife's parents. The commute everyday to New York City is 2 1/2 hrs. one way but very much worth it. I wanted to post a few pictures highlighting what I've been doing.




This is my first cast drawing. The cast I believe is taken from Michaelangelo's "David". The exercise is to teach us how to model the form or make it look three dimentional.













This is one of my block-ins ( I belive it is a bust of Cesar). The block-in is a way of quickly getting down on paper the spatial relationships of an object. Essentially, you create a quick "envelope" of the object and using reference lines build into the center of the object. At that point you focus on the shapes that make up the drawing, refining the drawing from the middle to the outside.








This is another block-in. The exercise is designed to get you to focus on the shapes that make up the piece and forget about the overall object. For that reason this cast was placed on its side to help forget that it is actually a human head (it makes me think of Zues). It is interesting, if you can focus on the shapes, the head, or what ever it is your drawing will develop miraculously.







This is the start of my second cast drawing (an eye-not sure if it is from "The David". You can see I've finished the block in and have just started modeling or turning the form (making it look 3-D).

4 comments:

Michael said...

dude, that mouth one looks awesome. I thought that was something you sculpted.

Wendy Lady said...

I hope you'll keep your posts up-to-date because I'm drooling over the beauty of your sketches. I love fine art and am, in all honesty, envious of your talent. I'm glad you're enjoying your experience.

Mrs. S said...

Your work has gotten so much better! I use to think your art was amazing, but now that I see what you're doing I think that is amazing. I can't wait to see what the future brings!

Katherine Ronachert said...

you are amazing!

Thanks for Looking!